Congratulations to all finalists in the Dragons Den 2017
Community Waikato offered the chance for six Waikato community organisations to compete to win a share of $20,000, of which $10,000 was donated by the Len Reynolds Trust, and the other $10,000 from Community Waikato. This prize was offered in a Dragon’s Den competition at the conference.
Six finalist organisations were chosen from twenty-two applications to present their community projects to a panel of dragons (i.e. funders) and come away with a prize to help fund their project. The projects were judged based on the most promising and best presented.
The results were:
- Morrinsville Community House, Morrinsville and Te Aroha; project aims to provide women from low income houses with reusable menstrual products – received top prize of $10,000
- Seagull Centre, Thames; research, develop and initiate marketing the Seagull Centre business model to other communities around the country as a franchise - received $5000
- Link House Agency, Hamilton; project aims to develop improved consensual relationships for people parenting alone - received $2500
- Tokoroa Community Garden Trust, Tokoroa; Community Garden project - Garden produce for Foodbank and Kapai Kai - received $1500
- Otorohanga Support House, Otorohanga; local community information day to make connections with services and break down barriers - received $500
- Young Workers Resource Centre, Hamilton; Develop new workshops facilitated by people who have employed youth around effective job search techniques and hiring process - received $500